Friday, September 08, 2006

Want or Ought...

I have been struggling lately. Wondering if I am choosing things that are too selfish. Where is the balance. I am too selfish to want to give all of my money, all of my time, everything to Christ and the things he calls me to, but I really don't want to hold back either. Is all really everything, should I not sleep, should my family not eat, what about having some fun (My family has been having a great time spending time together at the Lake of the Ozarks.) , how much is right? So what is everything??? At the same time I don't feel like God is telling me I am holding anything back.

I kind of think it is a question of weather I do the things I do out of 'want to' or 'ought to'. I definitely have been giving more to my family lately (and it's been 'want to') than I have to church, and feels kind of wrong, though I know it is not. The fact is because I am a task oriented kind of person, it doesn't always feel as satisfying because with family there is no task to complete. So I kind of feel like I 'ought to' be doing more tasks at/for 'church' and 'God'.

1 comment:

Jim Shultz said...

James Shultz, my names is James Shultz as well. Although, I go by Jim. I am glad to see there is another Jim Shultz out there.
I read this post and wanted to let you know that I am a minister in a Baptist Church (you can check me out to make sure that I am telling the truth - knowsjob.blogspot.com and www.sherwoodbaptistonline.com). The reason why I bring this up is because so many people assume that serving God means serving the local church. You should not feel bad for spending time with your family or for not being as involved in your church. You are called to Love God and Love others. That's it. Don't mistake church service for serving God. If you are honoring God with your family, then you need not feel bad. You are called to meet with other believers (typically church), but not necessarily give up all your time at church. Your family is your top priority just below God. Don't confuse church and God. Take a look at Deut. 6 - it tells you how to honor God with your family.

Sorry to dump advice on you in first contact. My heart broke when I read about your struggle.